Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One Step at a Time

I've gotten to that point in life. The point where you start feeling grown-up and might actually have a shot at making it in the real world. Yesterday evening I attended a BMA (Business Marketing Association) event with speed interviewing as their main workshop. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a really great experience for me. To prepare for the event, I ordered business cards (which made me feel really professional), purchased a portfolio and put my life's experiences on a sheet of paper. The speed interviewing was my favorite part of the evening, but talk about nerve racking at first. Picture speed dating, but instead of worrying if you were going to "score" that night, you were worrying about your appearance, how you carried yourself, how you answered questions and if you were what their company was looking for. It was intense and I gained a lot of insight about myself that I never knew.
Almost everyone who interviewed me asked what I wanted to do with my degree when I graduated or where I saw myself in five years and until that evening, I had no idea what I wanted. I wanna work for a nonprofit organization that helps kids. Operation Smile, Big Brother Big Sister, Locks of Love, etc. I was presented with a question, "What are you most passionate about?" No one asked me this before. Surprisingly, I answered the question with as much passion and certainty as when my boyfriend asked me to marry him. Thanks to BMA, I am one step closer to achieving my dreams. I feel like I owe them BIG time.
Not only did I find a path I wanted to go down, but I also learned more about social media and the impact that it can have on your life. @haleylandsman @Apiwarun and @stratocasting  gave a presentation on social media and how it is all about personal connections, online and offline. Take the plunge, put yourself out there and see where it takes you. You have nothing to loose!
 http://twitter.com/#!/BMA_Milwaukee
http://www.bma-milwaukee.org/ 

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree! They did a great job in preparing me for interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you say you feel "grown up." Everything we learn in class and all through school combines with your own views and personality and comes out in just a few sentences-answers to the first few questions of an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great how insightful the event was for you. I hope all goes well in your future working with non-profits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    I attended yesterday's event as well and I feel the same way. The event gave us somewhat of a crash course on being grown up and life in the real world. It defiantly did a lot to make me think about my life five years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog post! I also agree that I am a lot closer to doing bigger and better things thanks to BMA. What a great event to attend...see you there next year?? :)

    ReplyDelete